As a child, I loved the colourful, psychedelic illustrations of the 60s and 70s and spent a great deal of time drawing and making things. The use of bold colours and shapes has become one of my signature styles.
I have worked as a commercial designer and artist for over 30 years. Alongside this I also paint and draw and have done several paintings for private clients over the years. I am currently working on a fine art project which will be available to view in late 2020.
I grew up in Surrey, England and won several art competitions whilst at school. In 1984, aged 15, I won a BBC Design Competition to create the storyboard for an Alvin Stardust pop video which was used to promote his Christmas hit "So Near to Christmas", which charted that Christmas.
I come from a family with many artists, engineers and builders in it, including my mother, who is an artist and architectural draftsman and my Great Grandfather Thomas Eli Haywood founded an engineering company in Coulsdon, Surrey in 1949. They built and opened the first ever petrol station on the Brighton Road and designed and manufactured lighting and metalwork and patented railway engineering inventions. The also made the postal trolleys for Mount Pleasant Post Office, amongst other things. www.thomashaywoodandsons.com.
Born 1969, Surrey, England
1988 to 1992 BA (Hons) 3D Design (2:1) - Middlesex University, Middlesex, England
1991 (6 mths) Fachochshule Dusseldorf (Distinction) – Erasmus Scholarship – Degree coursework
1991 (6 mths) Erickson Beamon, Clerkenwell, London - Degree placement, designer and maker, worked at LFW
1987 to 1988 Foundation Course Art & Design (Distinction) - Croydon Art College, Surrey, England
1985 to 1987 A Levels - Art, Biology, Textiles & Dress - Purley High School For Girls, Surrey, England
2001 to Date Heidi Sturgess Studio - Design consultancy specialising in branding, print, artwork and product design.
2001 to Date Heidi Sturgess - International fashion accessories brand.
· 2020 Dam Head Equestrian - Logo Design
· 2019 Morgan Stanley/Great Ormond Street Hospital - Ltd Edition Heidi Sturgess handbag auctioned for charity
· 2018 Dr Sebagh - Heidi Sturgess + Dr Sebagh bespoke dog charms and handbags
· 2017 Royal Academy of Arts, London, England - Heidi Sturgess Lobster Handbags for Dali/Duchamp Exhibition
· 2017 Dr Sebagh - Heidi Sturgess + Dr Sebagh bespoke Vitamin C Handbag, design and production
· 2017 Stare Vie The Store, Guatemala, South America - Launch Heidi Sturgess handbags into Guatemala
· 2016 A Sense + Heidi Sturgess handbag collection, Beijing, China
· 2016 Ashmolean Museum, Storms Wars and Shipwrecks Exhibition - Heidi Sturgess own brand merchandise
· 2015 Dr John Glees - website design
· 2015 Brian Ballantyne Fine Decoration for Interiors - website design
· 2015 Published Silhouette Graphics Book
· 2014 Intren USA - Bespoke Heidi Sturgess corporate gift handbag for 50 staff
· 2013 Hoi An Orphanage - Handbag made from fabric painted by the children, auctioned for the orphanage.
· 2012 Launched Heidi Sturgess ‘Silhoutette’ Collection of handbags at Covent Garden
· 2012 Camden Graphics - ‘Quintessential’ own brand greetings card collection, illustration and design
· 2012 M.O.D/Flying Tortoise Events - Bespoke Corsage - Falklands 30th Anniversary, worn by The Queen
· 2012 Camden Graphics - ‘Papercuts’ own brand greetings card collection, illustration and design
· 2011 Camden Graphics - ‘Teen Icons’ own brand greetings card collection, illustration and design
· 2011 Camden Graphics - ‘Warm Wishes’ own brand greetings card collection, illustration and design
· 2011 Camden Graphics - ‘Silhouettes’ ow brand greetings card collection, illustration and design
· 2010 Camden Graphics - ‘Toybox’ own brand collection, illustration and design
· 2010 Camden Graphics - Heidi Sturgess print design greetings cards
· 2008 Heidi Sturgess Silk Scarves Collection launched
· 2008 Camden Graphics - ‘Charm Cards’ own brand collection, illustration and design
· 2008 Wedding TV - T-shirt design for Wedding TV Promotion
· 2008 Heyland & Whittle - Logo Design for new beauty products brand
· 2007 Cache Magazine, Marbella - Editorial feature and illustrations
· 2007 Flower Girls - Illustrations series launched
· 2006 Red Direct - Heidi Sturgess own brand limited edition makeup bag for Red Direct catalogue
· 2006 Lighthouse Gallery, Glasgow, Scotland - Heidi Sturgess collection of fashion accessories for the gallery
· 2005 Kew Gardens Orchid Festival - Heidi Sturgess orchid fashion accessories collection for the shop
· 2005 Magazine Editorial Illustrations
· 2005 Heidi Sturgess Collection 2005 launched
· 2004 Heidi Sturgess Collection 2004 launched
· 2004 L'Oreal - Bespoke Handbag design for Colour Pulse press launch
· 2002 Selfridges Designer Jewellery Gallery - Heidi Sturgess Jewellery collection debuts in store
· 2002 Cosmopolitan Magazine - Bespoke Necklace designed for pop diva Pink for Cosmo fashion shoot
· 2002 Palmer's Cocoa Butter - Limited Edition Heidi Sturgess + Palmer’s makeup Bag
· 2002 Dylon - Bespoke Jubilee Handbag made using Dylon products for Cancer UK Charity Auction
· 2002 Community Care Magazine - Editorial illustrations
· 2002 Heidi Sturgess Direct - Catalogue launch
· 2001 Vogue UK, London - Bespoke shoes commissioned for fashion shoot
· 2001 Vogue UK, London - Bespoke bikini for Naomi Campbell commissioned by Vogue
· 2001 Vogue UK, London - Bespoke gloves and jewellery for fashion shoot commissioned by Vogue
· 2001 Topshop Oxford Circus/Freedom - Heidi Sturgess own brand Jewellery Collection for Oxford Circus Shop
· 2001 Virtual Botanic Collection - Worn by atomic Kitten to the MTV Music Awards
· 2001 Heidi Sturgess Orchid Collection Launches, featured in Vogue and The Metro
· 2001 Fortnum & Mason/Peter Windett Associates, London, England - Illustrations for Christmas Packaging
1998 to 2001 Senior Freelance Designer - Erickson Beamon, London. I designed 40 couture jewellery collections for Erickson Beamon as well as catwalk pieces for their luxury clients, including Chanel, Gaspard Yurkevich, Givenchy, Ghost, Roberto Cavalli.
1996 to 1997 Head of Design - Stack Corporation, Sydney, Australia. I re-branded the jewellery division and designed new collections, visual merchandising and marketing material in order for them to re-launch the existing product line.
1992 to 1996 Head of Visual Merchandising & Event Design - Cabouchon (Head Office), London, England.
Event designer for over 30 events in 12 countries, stylist, visual merchandising for print and film. This was my first job as a graduate and I initially started as Quality Control Manager but was promoted after four months.
· County Hall after party for Pret a Porter Film Premier London - Event Design and Styling
· Grosvenor House Hotel, Mayfair, London - Event Design for five product launches in The Great Room
· Claridges, Mayfair, London - Event Design and styling for champagne reception
· Lumiere Cinema, Soho, London - Event Design and Styling for Press Launch
· Banqueting House, Whitehall, London - Event Design and Styling for Champagne Reception
· Bayerischer Hof Hotel, Munich, Germany - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch into Germany
· Chateau de Ferrieres, Paris, France - Event Design and Styling for weekend party for 500 people
· Natural History Museum, London - Event Design and Styling for product launch party
· Beurs Van Berlage, Amsterdam, Holland - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch into Holland
· Bantry Bay and Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa - Stylist and head of wardrobe with Saatchi & Saatchi
· Sheraton Hotel, Brussels, Belgium - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch into Belgium
· Cannes Film Festival, Majestic Hotel, Cannes, France - Event Design and Styling for press dinner
· SAS Falconer Center, Copenhagen, Denmark - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch into Denmark
· Rica Sjolyst, Oslo, Norway - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch into Norway
· Messukeskus, Helsinki, Finland - Event Design and Styling for launch of Cabouchon Finland
· Stadhus Kallaren, Stockholm, Sweden - Event Design and Styling for launch of Cabouchon Sweden
· Conference Centre, Basel, Switzerland - Event Design and Styling for launch of Cabouchon Switzerland
· Marbella Beach Club - Event Design and Styling for annual conference
· Pavillion d’Armenonville Paris - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch in France
· Baur au Lac Zurich - Event Design and Styling for Cabouchon launch into Austria